It is often daunting to know where to start with colour, whether it be a new home or refreshing an existing home decor. Colours evoke a variety of emotions and is used constantly in everything we see, touch and buy. So what is your colour design style?
- If you've ever admired someone else's colour scheme, but haven't quite had the know-how to try it on your own, then a Agatha O can help
Have you considered how you want your space to feel? Calming, regal, exciting or cheerful? Colour
is a key factor in achieving the exact perception you want to experience in your home. Psychologically we identify best with colour
that surrounds us. So if you are uncertain about which colour
plates to use take a trip to your wardrobe, there you will find a dominant colour
trend which is fail-safe. For those not so daring in their home décor
as in the wardrobe department, try using neutral palette with more extreme colour
for highlights and accessories. Or play with tone on tone and textures which will adjust natural light and create depth.
If you are ready to add colour
to your life select colours
from nature to the rooms adjacent to the garden, this will create a natural flow from the home to the garden. While soft greens and blues tend to work well in promoting rest and are good for bedrooms.
More active social spaces like dining or living rooms benefit from colour
on the warmer side of the colour
wheel. Red tones are very common in dining rooms and kitchens as they stimulate the appetite. As some shades and tones can be domineering I recommend you only use them as accents.
Greys and browns, depending on the shade are appropriate for almost any room. Combined with colours
such as pale blue, tangerine or eggplant it can be either exciting or sophisticated.
Another consideration to your interior design colour
scheme is the type of lighting and the amount of it in the room. A colour
can take on a whole different dimension based on the surrounding light it reflects. This applies to natural and artificial light; a room with abundant sunlight will project a warmer glow on the wall colour
, while a florescent globe will cast a bluer (colder) light.
Before painting the room in a colour
which you think looks perfect on the sample card, paint a sizable area on one of the walls of the room. Observe how the colour
looks at different times of the day, you may decide it's not quite the right hue. If so, you can fine tune it by trying it a shade or two lighter or darker.
is very personal, try not to be swayed by outside influences, and in the event that you still remain uncertain, speak to an expert. You will ultimately eliminate costly mistakes.
Did you know…
People who do IQ tests perform much better in a coloured
room than in a plain white room, yet 80% of paint sold is white?
Pure white also makes us edgy, restless and we lose focus. (Janice Lindsay)
- There are dozens of decisions to make when choosing colours and finishes for your new home or renovation
- We'd like to bring more colour into your life!
- We can consider how your bricks, pavers, roofing, windows, flooring, tiles and paint work together to create a singular style for your colour scheme
- Colour can be considered the most important ingredient in the interior and exterior decorating process, having significant impact on mood and well-being
- Styled With Love!
- Define your style with our colour consultation service
- Choosing the right colour scheme has never been easier!
- We will come to your home or office and assist you to design a colour scheme to compliment your lifestyle and individual needs
- A Colour Consultant is a specialist that understands the world of colour, the effects of light and darkness and colour psychology. Their knowledge is more than just an understanding of paint colour and decorative paint finishes. It will include cabinetry finishes; flooring including tile selection; and soft furnishings and drapery like cushions and curtains
- You Name It, We'll Colour It!
WOW! Knock your socks off! When you make a statement, make it memorable! (Rebecca Moses)
AGATHA O house of design – interior decoration & design is an award winning interior design Company in Adelaide, South Australia writing about lifestyle and WHAT’S HOT in the world of interior design, architecture, art and travel.